Sunday, November 14, 2010

Say 'Thank You' to a Veteran


I'm not one for parades. In fact, that's quite the understatement. I really dislike parades. I hate standing in one spot and watching people walk by super slow. I hate the traffic that they cause. And for some reason, I've never attended a parade that wasn't during some freezing part of the day.

I just don't like parades.

But... when I found out my stepson would be marching in the Veteran's Day parade, I knew I had to go. Not just to support our veterans, but to support the great choice that my stepson has made.


As parents (and stepparent) we seem to have gotten a little bit of flack letting our son join the Young Marines. I can see how some people might be turned off by the initial idea of such an organization, but I can honestly say that it's been a positive thing in his life. He is learning leadership skills, discipline, team work, and respect for adults and his peers. They really push a "say no to drugs" policy, and are big on making the kids feel proud of themselves.


I digress. I'm proud of my stepson. I think he's making good choices in his life, and as long as he's not out there hurting himself or others, I will always support him. Because it's true. I love the little man. And I'm damn proud of him.

So, while my stepson was off fulfilling his duties as a young marine, I made sure to try to snap a few pictures of the great service men and women of my beautiful country. Unfortunately, due to the early morning and lack of coffee prior to leaving the house, I forgot my camera and was left taking pictures with my cell phone. Thank you technology.



And while I watched our veterans (and my stepson) march in the parade, I couldn't help but find myself enjoying myself. It's different when you're standing on the sidelines supporting your family, friends, and country.

So, to all the men and women who take the oath to protect my country and who go out there and make a difference in this world, no matter how grand or small... Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment